Monday, February 21, 2011

Chicken in Vindaloo Sauce


This is not a traditional Chicken Vindaloo in any sense of the word.But after working on it I really liked it. Let me say this though, I like all cuisines. I like Indian cuisine, but it can be a bit daunting. The cuisine is so huge you could take a lifetime to scratch the surface. I decided that I would try and make a different version of Chicken Vindaloo. I read a lot of different recipes and put them together to come up with this one. What I was going for was exactly what I got. I wanted to make a sauce out of the Vindaloo that I could pour over chicken and rice. Since the chicken usually cooks in sauce, I added some chicken granules to the sauce to impart that flavor. It turned out very nice. Keep in mind that most curry powders are different, and I make my own.

Recipe:

Chicken with Vindaloo Sauce

Servings: 2

I prefer to use skin on Chicken, for the crunch it adds, and to cook it in cast iron. Serve with homemade or store bought Naan. Use a homemade curry powder if you can, store bought works fine as well, just be ready to adjust the seasonings. The sauce makes enough for eight chicken breasts.

5 tbsp Olive oil
3 tbsp Garlic, Minced
5 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
5 tsp paprika
2 ea Chicken breasts- Boneless, skin on
1 ea Medium onion chopped
2 tbsp Curry Powder
1.5 lbs roma Tomato dices
2 tbsp Ginger-root grated
2 tbsp chicken bouillon granules
½ cup water
¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
1 each Lime slices, for garnish

Oven Temperature: 350°F

1 Mix together 3 Tbsp Olive Oil, 1 Tbsp Garlic, 3 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar and 2 tsp of the Paprika in a non-reactive bowl. Add Chicken to this, cover and place into refrigerator for 30 min to 2 hours.

2 Heat a saucepan to med-high. Add oil.

3 When oil begins to shimmer add Onions and remaining garlic. Cook till translucent and just beginning to brown.

4 Stir in Curry Powder and remaining Paprika.

5 When mixture is evenly mixed add Roma Tomato. Reduce heat to medium and cover.

6 After tomato has begun to release their juice (about 5 minutes), Stir in Ginger and Chicken Bullion.

7 Add water and puree until smooth in blender or submersion blender, then return to pot on a low simmer and cover.

8 Stir in Cilantro, remaining Red Wine Vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.

9 Sauce can be held for up to three days in the refrigerator at this point and reheated when needed.

10 Cook Basmati Rice according to package directions.

11 Heat oven safe pan (I like cast iron) over medium high heat.

12 Add chicken skin side down and cook till skin is crisp (3-4 minutes)

13 Turn chicken and place in oven until cooked through.

14 To Serve place a bed of rice on a plate, place Chicken skin side up, and cover liberally with sauce. Serve with lime wedge.


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment