Monday, March 28, 2011

Razza con Peperoni e Finocchi Arrosti

I was talking to someone earlier today and told them I was going shopping for dinner. When they asked what I was cooking, I responded with "I honestly don't know. I will just look around till I get inspired." When the response I got was, "I guess that is the hard part about creating recipes for a blog, you know, trying to get inspired." I hung up and was left thinking...was that a challenge?

I headed to the store not really knowing what I was going to cook. All I did know was I was in the mood for some real food after the week I had been through. I can honestly say it did not take long after entering the store to decide what I wanted to cook though. I was taking a glance at the seafood counter, and while trying to decide between Chilean Sea Bass, Shrimp or Salmon, I saw it.



Skate Wing. In Italian they call it Razza. It is a fish that is related to the shark and the ray. If you have never had it before, it is a white, very flaky fish with a sweet taste that reminds me of Halibut. And seeing as how the Alaskan Halibut season just opened on the 12th, it is still almost $25 per pound. Skate, on the other hand, is less than $10 per pound (I paid $8.99 per pound).

As for what to serve it with, that was the easy part. I was in the mood for roasted bell pepper with some fennel and garlic thrown in. For the contrast, I wanted to serve the peppers cold on top of the fish. To round out the dish, the fish would be placed on top of Ptitim Risotto (basically Israeli Couscous prepared in risotto fashion).

Thirty minutes after entering the store, I was walking out with the makings of a good dinner thinking to myself something along the lines of "I guess someone's grocery store sucks compared to mine." Either that or I am just easily inspired.

I was in an Italian mood when this came to me. This is how the recipe formed in my head.


Razza con Peperoni e Finocchi Arrosti (Skate Wing with Roasted Peppers and Fennel)




Selecting your fish...Skate Wing filets have a top half and a bottom half. The top is thicker, and that is the part you want to buy. The thinner part can overcook very fast.

I served this with Ptitim Risotto, which was made with 2 cups of Chicken Stock, 1 cup or Israeli Couscous, 2 tbsp of Fennel Fronds and a pinch of Salt and Pepper.

The Fennel and Roasted Peppers can be served on top at any temperature. I chose to chill it to bring a little more contrast.

1 ea Fennel Bulb, sliced in 1/2" strips
¼ cup Olive Oil
Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper, to taste
1 ea Red Bell Pepper, sliced in 1/2" strips
1 ea Yellow Bell Pepper, sliced in 1/2" strips
1 ea Orange Bell Pepper, sliced in 1/2" strips
4 each Garlic Clove
3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 tbsp Olive Oil
12 oz Skate Wing (thick side), cut in half

1 Preheat oven to 400°.

2 Toss Fennel in ¼ cup Olive Oil and season with Salt and Pepper.

3 Roast Fennel for 20 minutes.

4 Add the Bell Peppers and Garlic to the Fennel. Toss and roast for an additional 40 minutes.

5 Remove from oven, place in a bowl and add Red Wine Vinegar. Cover and chill in refrigerator.

6 Turn oven down to 350°.

7 Heat an oven safe pan over Medium High Heat.

8 Add 1 tbsp Olive Oil to hot pan.

9 Season both sides of Skate Wing with Salt and Pepper.

10 Place in pan, skin side up, and cook for 2 minutes.

11 Flip the Skate Wing over and place in oven until cooked through (about 4 minutes, depending on the thickness of your filet).

12 Remove fish from the pan and place on a plate. Top with a bit of the chilled Fennel and Roasted Peppers.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment