Saturday, March 26, 2011

Ancho Rubbed Rib-eye with Cilantro "Blue-naise"

So, before we were so rudely interrupted by the Red Snapper, I was working on this recipe. I wanted to bring together some spice, blue cheese and the richness and lightness of a Bearnaise sauce. Figuring out the best way to bring these together was the tough part. I mean you can't just throw everything into the mix and see what happens. Most of the time you end up with something that is better suited for your dog, or at least your local group of ...umm...errr... "smokers" who don't really care what they are eating when the munchies are at that level where everything is the best thing they have ever eaten. I actually know one of those guys who enjoys telling me all about his latest creation of mixing together this box of hamburger helper with this box of tuna helper and telling me how I have to try it. I will stick to the Rib-eye. But I digress... By adding the ancho powder to the rub for the steak, I brought a little spice to this dish. Replacing the tarragon in the Bearnaise with cilantro and stirring in some young blue cheese melded the flavors nicely.

As for choosing a steak, if you are going to offer me my choice, I will take the Rib-eye. I personally don't feel the Fillet has the flavor or the texture that I want. A Rib-eye on the other hand, being marbled with fat, carries the flavors better and is a more moist cut of meat. That said, please feel free to use your favorite cut of meat for this recipe.


And if you're wondering about the name of the sauce...Bearnaise is a classic sauce using tarragon, chervil and reduced white wine. This one is not the classic, so I did not feel right calling it a Bearnaise. So I'm calling it a "Blue-naise."

I chose to serve this dish over fingerling potatoes. The potatoes were cooked in boiling water and then tossed in a dressing of Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Salt, Rosemary and Black pepper. They were then sauteed on the stove so they would be heated through and have a little crispiness .

Ancho Chile Rubbed Rib-eye with Cilantro Blue-naise



Choose your favorite cut of meat for this, but I do recommend the Rib-eye. For the spicing, I used my spice rub (based off of the Perini Spice rub) in the ratio of 2 Tbsp rub to1 tsp of Ancho Chile powder.

Ancho Chile Powder is ground ancho peppers, not a spice blend or Chili Powder.

When picking your Gorgonzola, you will want a younger cheese so it will be milder and mix into the sauce better. The one I picked was a 3 month old.

2 each Rib-eye (16 oz each)
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
8 oz Shallot, sliced thin
1 bunch Cilantro
Salt and Pepper, to taste
4 oz Butter (no substitutes), melted and warm
2 tbsp Spice Rub
1 tsp Ancho Chile Powder
2 ea Egg Yolks
2 oz Gorgonzola Cheese, crumbled
dash Lime Juice

1 Remove Rib-eyes from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature (30 minutes depending on size).

2 In a small saucepan, place Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 oz of the Shallots and stems from the Cilantro.

3 Reduce over medium heat until about three tablespoons of Vinegar remain. Strain and set aside to cool.

4 Place one Tbsp of the melted Butter in a pan over medium low heat, and add the remaining six ounces of Shallots.

5 Allow Shallots to cook down until they have a deep, rich, brown color, then set aside.

6 Mix Spice Rub and Ancho Chile Powder. Rub onto Rib-eyes shaking off excess.

7 Cook Rib-eyes in desired method to desired temperature. Cover with foil, and allow to rest.

8 While the Rib-eyes are cooking, begin the sauce.

9 In a bowl over simmering water, add the three tablespoons of reduced Vinegar and Egg Yolks and begin whisking.

10 Whisk Egg Yolks until they are light and fluffy and triple in volume.

11 Slowly add the remaining Butter to the Egg Yolks.

12 Remove from heat, and stir in 1 oz chopped Cilantro leaves and Gorgonzola. Add Lime Juice to taste.

13 Adjust seasoning of the sauce with Salt and Pepper.

14 Place Rib-eyes on plates, and spoon sauce over them. Place about half of the caramelized shallots on top of the sauce and serve.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, now I am hungry for steak...Graham and I love a good filet, so I will try that.

    ReplyDelete