Monday, April 25, 2011

Orange Ginger Striped Bass with Roasted Zucchini

I have to say it has been a busy month for me. It is not the lack of ideas that has kept me from posting but the lack of spare time. I work full time as a sous chef and part time as a server at another restaurant. Minimum 45 hours a week at one restaurant and picking up shifts at the other can take a chunk of time out of your life. I try to fit in all of my other obligations, but my recreational activities can take a hit...namely recipe testing and posting. But I can say I am still on track to make at least one recipe post a week.

Just because I am not posting as much as I would like does not mean I am not working on the recipes though. Not including this one, I actually have three in the pipeline ready to go as I type this. But on to things more important than my bitching about following my dream....WHAT'S FOR DINNER?!?!?!?!

Striped Bass.
This is a mild flavored, firm but flaky fish. This being spring, although Texas seems to have forgotten this and as usual jumped straight to summer, I wanted to go with a light citrus flavor. While tasting oranges at my grocery store (yes my grocery store does have fruit samplings), I found the oranges were really amazing. These had that perfect balance of sweet and sour that immediately made me think of adding ginger to them. The flavors here will be mild so they won't overpower the natural flavor of the fish, which makes this a light and delicate meal.



I paired this with some very easy oven roasted zucchini seasoned very lightly with salt, pepper and olive oil. So enough with the babble, and on to the food!



Orange Ginger Striped Bass

3 tbsp Olive Oil
2 ea Striped Bass Filet
Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 oz Fresh Ginger, sliced thin (about 2")
1 ea Large Orange, cut off ends and slice (6 - 8 slices); save the end peices
¼ cup White Wine
1 tbsp Butter

Oven Temp: 400

1 Spread 1 tbsp of the Olive Oil over the bottom of an oven safe pan.

2 Place Filets in pan skin side down.

3 Sprinkle Salt and Pepper over Filets.

4 Divide Ginger slices over the top of the Filets.

5 Squeeze the ends of the Orange you saved over each Filet to get a little drizzle of fresh orange juice on each.

6 Place Orange slices over the top of Fish and Ginger allowing to overlap.

7 Drizzle the remaining Olive Oil over the top of the Oranges.

8 Cook at 400° until cooked through (about 15 minutes depending on the thickness of of the Filet).

9 Remove Filets from pan and place on a plate.  Leave Orange slices and Ginger in the pan.

10 Add the White Wine and Butter to the pan.

11 Cook the Wine, Butter, Ginger and Oranges in the oven for 5 minutes.

12 Pour a little of the sauce over the Fillets and serve.
 

Roasted Zucchini

1 lb Zucchini
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Salt
2 tsp Pepper
2 ea Garlic Clove, crushed

1 Heat oven to 350°F.

2 Slice Zucchini into 3 inch long rounds.

3 Cut each round into 8 wedges.

4 Toss together Zucchini spears, Salt, Pepper, Olive Oil and Garlic.

5 Spread evenly in an 8x8 pan.

6 Cook in  350°F oven for 30 minutes.

7 Place on plate and serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment