Monday, February 14, 2011

Gambling

I have been told many times that I am a gambler. Not with money, but with decisions. I take chances. When I make my decision I go with it.


I am a big fan of playing the cards that I am dealt. Anyone who has played poker can tell you that very few hands are winning hands. That is if you play the cards put in front of you. You have to also play the people at the table as well.

Dice are a little different. You make your bet then throw the dice. Where they land is your outcome. Win or lose you made your play.

What does this have to do with anything? Well it is life.

Sometimes you are dealt cards and you have to play them. When the hand is over you have to be able to look back and be able to say to yourself that you played the hand the best you could of. This may mean that you did not let everyone know the cards you hold. Standing fast hoping that the other person does not realize you are sitting on a weak hand, or on that you have all the cards and no matter how they play it, you are walking with the pot. Either way, you will learn something from the hand. Not only how that hand should be played, but also about your opponents.

As with dice, you have your choice, make your decision and throw the dice. Sometimes you come out ahead and other times you lose big. But without great risk you cannot reap great rewards. You stick with the decision till the game has ended. Then you can cash out and get ready for the next roll.

Where this is coming from is actually many fold. Many things are currently going on that make this analogy surface here. One is very recent that makes me very happy that I played my cards the way I did. The other makes me happy I threw my dice the direction I did.

I know this whole thing sounds cryptic and scattered but the meaning is there.

I remember most things of note that are said to me. I learn from them, directly and sometimes indirectly. Today I had someone say something to me that will most assuredly stay with me for a while, and made me realize that I did play a couple hands the correct way.

To paraphrase: Valentines may last for a day, but best friends are forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment