Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pisa the Adventure begins.....

Pisa is a place I decided that had decided would be an excellent place for a first day trip. A three hour train ride coupled with the fact that al of the tourist attractions are all close to each other. Andrew, Rachel and Macey thought that this would be a fun trip as well so we agreed to head up there.


The night before I went to bed early enough, that a couple people thought I was upset at them. I knew it was going to be a long day. Little did I know exactly how long it would be….I mean what could go wrong we were just on a three hour tour, nothing ever goes wrong on those. I awoke at 0600 and was out the door along with Andrew at 0630. Well it appeared the girls were not ready. What a surprise……girls not being ready.

Andrew walked the streets and met a cat that will forever be referred to as “Ciao Cat”. This cat walked up the street saying “Ciao, Ciao”. I wish I was joking. We said Ciao and return and walked off looking for hidden cameras. The discussions from there were all over the place from architecture of the buildings and how you could see the deepness of the Italian culture from the respect they show for their history. We headed over to meet the girls, the down the hill to the funicular. The plans were loose at this point. Grab the next train to Florence, then to Pisa. See the sights and be done in time to catch the last train home to Orvieto. Good plan? Yea we thought so as well. But as the saying goes not plan survives the first shots of battle.

It had been many years since I had been on a train. The last time I was in Mexico. On the way to Mexico City. But that was at night and I slept a good part of the way. This was far different and much more memorable. The ride was almost hypnotic. The train was flowing very smoothly, almost floating. Looking out the window you see the scenery go by pastures, fields, old abandoned buildings and ruins here and there. As we pulled into Castiglion de Lago I looked out the window and saw a large lake with a hilltop “fortress” overlooking it.

This keeps bringing me back to my question of the people that love in these towns. This stuff is like their back yard. They see it every day. It must be rather unremarkable to them. To them is it just something in their back yard. I thought the same thing about Pisa as well.

We made it to Florence and realized we had a few minutes till our train to so we walked around and saw a local piazza till our train was ready. We then boarded our train to Pisa and were on our way. This is where the adventure really begins for this trip, and so in taking after a tv show….

TO BE CONTINUED……

No comments:

Post a Comment